In a couple of days, those of us in the U.S. will be celebrating Thanksgiving. Typically, that would mean family gatherings with delicious foods, parades, and football. It will probably look a little different this year due to heightened COVID numbers. Many of us are opting not to host the large, in-person family gatherings, choosing instead to keep the festivities small with immediate family only or perhaps visiting family members virtually.
No matter how you’re celebrating one thing remains a constant—Thanksgiving is traditionally the one day we all give thanks & express gratitude. A time to honor and acknowledge the many blessings in our lives.
What if we practiced expressing gratitude every day, not just on Thanksgiving? How would our lives change? There are lots of benefits, here are 3:
1. Improve your attitude – feel happier, more positive, and optimistic
2. Build stronger relationships – a simple thank you goes a long way; it acknowledges people for their help and makes them feel special
3. Improve your physical & mental health – helps you deal better with your emotions & studies show people who are thankful tend to be healthier
How can you purposefully give thanks?
- Count your blessings … write them in a journal
- What are you grateful for right now?
- Who are 2-3 people you’re grateful to have in your life?
- What’s something you tend to take for granted that you’re grateful for?
- Look for the goodness in everything
- Look for ways to be grateful when challenges arise
- See challenges as an opportunity for growth and improvement
- Use your skills to help others – small acts of kindness
- Could you make a meal(s) for a neighbor in need?
- Help an elderly person with repairs around the house or run errands?
- Be a genuine listener
As you and your family come together during this holiday season, I encourage you to take time to reflect on the goodness of your lives. 2020 has been one of the most challenging years ever for a lot of people, and yet there is always something for which we can be grateful.
I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for tuning in to watch these videos, thank you to my clients, friends, and family, for your business, your referrals, your support, and your encouraging words.
From my home to yours, have a blessed and safe Thanksgiving.